This is the page where to find information on the varities which are available.
For more info contact us at email@example.com
The feijoa industry has a vast array of feijoa varieties available. It can be confusing to know which varieties to grow as some are better than others and it will depend on what market you are growing for eg. export, local or processed. As an industry, there is a need for an early, mid and late season one. We have still not found the perfect Feijoa to fulfill this need.
Below is a list of the some of the varieties available and their characteristics.
Early Season Varieties
- Anatoki: A very promising extremely early ripening variety, starting 2-3 weeks before Unique. Good size smooth fruit with sweet mild flavour. Compact habit. Bred by Roy Hart. Trees exclusively available from Waimea Nurseries. (Provisionally protected by NZ PVR.)
- GEMINI: Early season, good storage life. Typically sizes small to medium. Soft & juicy, slightly grainy or gritty, strong flavour. Sub-acid.
- Kaiteri: A prolific early cropper with large smooth fruit on a vigorous tree. Starts ripening before Unique, but carries on for longer. Bred by Roy Hart. Trees exclusively available from Waimea Nurseries. (Provisionally protected by NZ PVR.)
- Kakariki: Exceptionally sweet, large fruit, ripening early in the season. Bred by Roy Hart
- POUNAMU: Early season, good storage. Medium size fruit. Aromatic, rich flavour. Good sugar:acid ratio. Very dark skin. Hart. Trees exclusively available from Waimea Nurseries. (Provisionally protected by NZ PVR.)
- UNIQUE: Very early, good keeper. Medium size fruit with distinctive split in calyx base. Smooth, soft & juicy flesh, mildly aromatic. Sub-acid. Handles well.
- APOLLO: Mid-season, delicate fruit. Large fruit, some uneven in shape. Sweet with good eating quality. Bruises easily.
- DEN'S CHOICE: Mid-season, good keeper. Medium-large size. Very sweet, smooth and juicy fruit. Mildly aromatic.
- KAKAPO: Mid-season. Medium size fruit with good flavour.
- MAMMOTH: Mid-late season. Medium size fruit with high incidence of empty locules (segments) inside. Moderately soft & juicy and grainy.
- OPAL STAR: (protected by PVR)Late season, medium size fruit. Mild flavour. Sub-acid.
- TRIUMPH: Late season, good storer. Medium sized. Often uneven halves. Moderately soft & juicy and slightly grainy or gritty.
- WIKI TU: (protected by PVR) Late season. Large, mild flavoured fruit. Sometimes has hollow locules (segments) inside.